How To Care For A Reborn Doll
Sep 04, 2022
A reborn doll isn’t just any baby doll, it’s a work of art. A reborn artist spent countless hours adding layers of paint, rooting hairs, and finishing to make it your perfect doll baby. As a work of art, your reborn should be handled with the utmost of care.
- First and foremost, be gentle with your reborn, much like you would treat an actual infant.Being too rough with reborns can result in limbs or hair detaching and can permanently damage the doll.
- Avoid direct sunlight and extreme heat. A reborn is typically made from vinyl, which is susceptible to age and fatigue when exposed to the harmful UV rays of the sun or an excessively high heat. The sun can cause the vinyl to become discolored or to break down. Other heat sources, such as a kitchen stove or a hot car, can cause the vinyl to warp and deteriorate. Finding them a spot in the house that is removed from excessive heat sources and direct sunlight will prolong the life of your reborn doll.
- Avoid objects that can stain your doll. When dressing your doll in new clothes, be sure to pre-wash them to avoid colors and dyes from transferring onto your doll’s vinyl parts. Highly pigmented items can stain the vinyl, so be sure to test certain materials and fabrics before dressing the doll. Rubbing a fabric on a sample piece of vinyl will determine if the colors will bleed.
- Keep out of reach of pets and children. Nothing can ruin a reborn doll quicker than having Fido playing fetch with it. Unsupervised children can also be too rough with reborn dolls, so make sure that an adult is present to instruct them about the proper care and handling of the doll.
- Keep magnetic parts away from individuals with hearing aids, pacemakers, or metal implants. These magnets can interfere with their electronic devices. You will also want to avoid getting the magnets near cell phones, tablets, computers, and hard drives to avoid damage. Some reborn dolls come with magnets already inserted into the head, so check with the artist or manufacturer to see if these magnets will be an issue.
These dolls are collectibles and cannot be cleaned like toys. If you need to remove dirt or residue, we recommend a slightly damp washcloth. Never scrub the doll as this will damage the paint and coloring of your reborn doll. Never get the cloth body wet, but instead use a damp cloth to wipe away stains. Always towel blot to dry and try not to get the stuffing wet to prevent mold and mildew issues.
If a reborn doll becomes extremely dirty, consider sending the doll back to the original artist or finding a reborn artist to work on the doll. They will be able to give the baby doll a proper cleaning and possibly replace the body and stuffing as needed.
Reborn Hair Styling Tips And Tricks
Wig hair should only be brushed with a soft bristle brush, as harder brushes can cause the baby’s hair to detach or can damage the painted details on your reborn baby. Brushing with a soft bristle brush will also help to remove dust and particles that may settle on the baby’s hair.
Mohair should never be washed or brushed because it will felt and become matted in cold water. Simply pat the hair down with your fingertips to keep the stray hairs in place.
Hair is extremely fragile when wet and it is not recommended to wash your baby’s hair. A slightly damp cloth can help to remove dust and dirt from the baby’s head.
Tip: dry shampoo can take the sheen off of blond synthetic hair to make it appear more lifelike.
Reborn dolls require some maintenance to prolong the life of your baby doll. Dusting, and avoiding environmental dangers can help to make sure that your baby doll always looks brand-new.